Mississippi State Tactical Airsoft Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mississippi State Tactical Airsoft Club

HomeHome  MS-TAC SiteMS-TAC Site  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Welcome to MS-TAC's new forums. New announcements will be displayed here.
By default all topics you post or reply to will set you to watching them. You can turn this off under Profile > Preferences.
Check out the sticky under MS-TAC > General to visit the old forums.

Warmachine

Go down 
+3
Church
MatthewTyson
Victor
7 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
MatthewTyson

Warmachine - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Warmachine   Warmachine - Page 2 EmptyMon May 09, 2011 1:32 pm

My legion order should be coming in today or tomorrow... Shredder spam Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Church

Church

PostSubject: Re: Warmachine   Warmachine - Page 2 EmptySun May 15, 2011 3:45 pm

Gents, I've been thinking. You know what would probably be pretty awesome but complicated as heck to lay out? A multi-level, multi-day campaign using a lot of Warmachine lore. You know, taking a current part in the arc and constructing themed battles to fit the scenario, with each battle having adverse (or beneficial) effects on the armies. Concepted cities and other terrain (since there isn't a large amount of town/city/large terrain pics to my knowledge), special army stuff, etc. The story could obviously deviate from the arc depending on the battle outcomes, and armies could greatly change over the course of a few battles, so a think-tank would be essential throughout the whole conception process. Think it's do-able? If so, who might be interested in putting one together?

I know a good bit of Khador lore, but that's it at the moment. Not much about the other factions.
Back to top Go down
Victor
Admin
Admin
Victor

PostSubject: Re: Warmachine   Warmachine - Page 2 EmptySun May 15, 2011 11:22 pm

I'm interesting in playing a campaign at some point
Back to top Go down
http://www.ms-tac.org.msstate.edu/
MatthewTyson

PostSubject: Re: Warmachine   Warmachine - Page 2 EmptyMon May 16, 2011 4:31 pm

Church wrote:
Gents, I've been thinking. You know what would probably be pretty awesome but complicated as heck to lay out? A multi-level, multi-day campaign using a lot of Warmachine lore. You know, taking a current part in the arc and constructing themed battles to fit the scenario, with each battle having adverse (or beneficial) effects on the armies. Concepted cities and other terrain (since there isn't a large amount of town/city/large terrain pics to my knowledge), special army stuff, etc. The story could obviously deviate from the arc depending on the battle outcomes, and armies could greatly change over the course of a few battles, so a think-tank would be essential throughout the whole conception process. Think it's do-able? If so, who might be interested in putting one together?

I know a good bit of Khador lore, but that's it at the moment. Not much about the other factions.
It's called "Iron Kingdoms". Warmachine RPG, same creaters (PP).
Back to top Go down
Church

Church

PostSubject: Re: Warmachine   Warmachine - Page 2 EmptyMon May 16, 2011 6:07 pm

MatthewTyson wrote:

It's called "Iron Kingdoms". Warmachine RPG, same creaters (PP).

I'm familiar with that portion to a fair extent, though that's not necessarily what I meant by the campaign. I'll explain some more once I've had some more time to think it over.

EDIT: I suppose, for lack of a refined explanation, my idea is large-scale Warmachine/Hordes combat, with a few twists.

EDIT 2: Supports above, somewhat. Let's take a scenario: the siege of Vronlingrad, which houses the primary training center for the Khador Winterguard and other infantry. Khador has an 80-point army and has to hold the city (i.e., survive) for X turns against two 75-point Cygnar armies. If the city falls, in battles thereafter, it might be that Khador can only put out so many Winterguard units, or all of the units start with X less models in the unit. You know. It may not sound 100% good, but it's a rough idea spurred on by reading deeper into the lore between model coats.

On a side note, almost done painting a few models. Have them up soon.
Back to top Go down
MatthewTyson

PostSubject: Re: Warmachine   Warmachine - Page 2 EmptyTue May 17, 2011 12:23 pm

Ahhhh... I'm liking it. 'Cept an 80 pt khador army will get barbecued by a pair of 75 pt cygnar armies. Better to do a 1v1 or 2v2. But yeah, I like the concept.

Each day the players in the campaign play, one of them gets to select a mission (several of which are created by the DM/GM). We'll have to make a map to keep track of things.
IE Day 1: Cygnar player's turn. He can choose 1 of 3 options:
1) Siege Khador's fortress. Victory means the Khador player can only bring a minimum unit of Winterguard with no UA until the fortress is repaired. If Cygnar loses, he has 5 points less to deploy with until he reinforces.
2) Patrol the Cygnar / Ios border for Retribution assassins. Cygnar player gets "ambushed" by an equal sized squad of Retribution, but his models have to be X distance apart from each other in the deployment zone, giving him a slight disadvantage. If Cygnar wins, Ret's Assassin units deploy at minimum strength for units and FA 1 for solos. If Cygnar loses, he has 5 points less to deploy with until he reinforces.
3) Reinforce: Cygnar player loses all disadvantages that are applied to him. Obviously this wouldn't be used on day 1, but this is a template for the other player's turns.

Obviously there will be more than 2 people in the campaign, so depending on the forces present we may expand to 2v2, or there will simply be 2 fights going on at once.

Finally, those of you out of town may not have heard, but we are acquiring a massive place that is going to become a gaming club. More details to come soon.
Back to top Go down
Church

Church

PostSubject: Re: Warmachine   Warmachine - Page 2 EmptyTue May 17, 2011 2:44 pm

MatthewTyson wrote:

*Snip*

I'm also liking this concept. On a humorous note, I was solely bullshitting about an 80-point Khador. We may be strong, but not THAT strong. I'm thinking this could work, though. I'll sit down tonight between innings during my sister's softball game (I'm their medic and unofficial scorekeepr) and try to flesh out some example scenarios and how the whole thing globally operates. Then from there I would suggest a new thread solely for the scenario campaign as not to bog this general thread down (also so everyone can collaborate in a scenario environment).
Back to top Go down
MatthewTyson

PostSubject: Re: Warmachine   Warmachine - Page 2 EmptyTue May 17, 2011 2:52 pm

I'll go ahead and toss the other thread up
Back to top Go down
Church

Church

PostSubject: Re: Warmachine   Warmachine - Page 2 EmptySat May 21, 2011 8:56 pm

Ok. I have some progress worth mentioning now. I've been having to paint slow since I'm working for a roofing company during the day. Anyways, I have my battlegroup done and have started my Winterguard. Also, these pics don't do it justice.....they look much better in person.

Juggernaut

Warmachine - Page 2 DSC_0066

Destroyer (before the touching up on the grill)

Warmachine - Page 2 DSC_0068

Sorscha

Warmachine - Page 2 DSC_0069

Winter Guard trooper

Warmachine - Page 2 DSC_0070
Back to top Go down
MatthewTyson

PostSubject: Re: Warmachine   Warmachine - Page 2 EmptySun May 22, 2011 3:06 am

holy balls church. you're definitely the best painter among us, cept maybe sean (the legion guy)
Back to top Go down
Church

Church

PostSubject: Re: Warmachine   Warmachine - Page 2 EmptyWed May 25, 2011 8:51 pm

Thanks.

Had an interesting revelation today. Was looking at my Destroyer stat card. Realized the bombard was a RNG 14 POW 14 AOE 3 weapon with Arcing Fire. Was very happy. Then realized it has MAT 4. Not so much. Good possibility for some beatdown synergy, maybe. Of course, it's also dependent upon the SPD, though, since it's only 4, and a lot of my spells cause a SPD reduction in exchange for more. So....slow-moving artillery. It'll be interesting to see how it goes.

Once I get at least a 25-point army painted, I'll come down one weekend to play some games until I get the campaign done.
Back to top Go down
seanster_95

PostSubject: Re: Warmachine   Warmachine - Page 2 EmptyWed May 25, 2011 11:20 pm

Do you have to make them, or just paint them
Back to top Go down
Church

Church

PostSubject: Re: Warmachine   Warmachine - Page 2 EmptyThu May 26, 2011 9:18 am

seanster_95 wrote:
Do you have to make them, or just paint them

They are, for the most part, pre-assembled, though some do have parts that need to be super-glued together. That's it in terms of assembly. The rest, really is priming, painting, and basing. You don't actually have to paint them to play, though, unless you plan to play in tournaments and stuff. It's all up to you.
Back to top Go down
Victor
Admin
Admin
Victor

PostSubject: Re: Warmachine   Warmachine - Page 2 EmptySun May 29, 2011 10:40 pm

So I was thinking real hard recently and found the lack of close combatness of cygnar to be a bit annoying. I always feel like I'm just barely holding onto the fights when I close in melee, but normally I feel like my soldiers are just being walked over.

So if I can dig up some more money from a few things I may order a single 35pt Menoth army. Yall let me know what yall think though. I'd like to take my time and only order enough for 1 army.

Grand Exemplar Kreoss
Repenter
Repenter
Hierophant
Exemplar Bastions (Leader and 4 Grunts)
Exemplar Cinerators (Leader and 2 Grunts)
Knights Exemplar (Leader and 5 Grunts)
Visgoth Juviah Rhoven & 2 Honor Guard
High Paladin Dartan Vilmon
Paladin of the Order of the Wall
Paladin of the Order of the Wall
The Covenant of Menoth

Nearly all of my units are medium based weapon-masters with reach and HP. The plan would be to use the Repenters' flamethrowers to kill cluster squads of infantry and the exemplars and paladins to kill everything else. None of them hit quite as hard as a super strong heavy, but as a unit they tend to hit harder and have near the same amount of HP. Paladins would be able to make dangerous advances with their abilities giving them tons of armor or ignoring damage from non-magical attacks.

Idk if yall have any experience with Menoth but I'll be asking around for at least another week before maybe making an order.
Back to top Go down
MatthewTyson

PostSubject: Re: Warmachine   Warmachine - Page 2 EmptyMon May 30, 2011 3:24 am

come by tomorrow and talk to ricky. he can tell you how it works.
otherwise ask tig for his number.

but first, ask Alex how he deals with his cygnar troops being walked over. I know he has an answer. Personally, I use my troops for an alpha strike, and then hide the important things (like jacks) behind them. Once the troops die, the jack gets up and destroys whatever is left.
Back to top Go down
Victor
Admin
Admin
Victor

PostSubject: Re: Warmachine   Warmachine - Page 2 EmptyMon May 30, 2011 8:42 am

Alex's troops gets walked over. He uses nearly nothing but ranged to thin out enemy numbers before they arrive.

I can deal with melee just fine, but my melee is average at best and these are cygnar's strongest melee troops. That's just how the army works.
Back to top Go down
Church

Church

PostSubject: Re: Warmachine   Warmachine - Page 2 EmptyMon May 30, 2011 1:27 pm

From what little I know of Menoth, it seems to be a pretty solid 35-point list. The only way to be sure, though, is to field test it, I suppose.
Back to top Go down
MatthewTyson

PostSubject: Re: Warmachine   Warmachine - Page 2 EmptyMon Jun 06, 2011 4:41 pm

I've been painting my shredders and I like how they look. Pics to come when I get home in ~ 30 minutes.
Back to top Go down
Church

Church

PostSubject: Re: Warmachine   Warmachine - Page 2 EmptySat Jun 11, 2011 3:59 pm

A WILD UPDATE APPEARS!!!

Warmachine - Page 2 DSC_0017
The new and improved Winter Guard with Officer & Standard plus Joe, the WG solo.

Warmachine - Page 2 DSC_0023
Widowmaker Squad on left, Marksman on right.

Warmachine - Page 2 DSC_0022
WG Mortar Crew

Warmachine - Page 2 DSC_0021
Man-O-War Kovnik....waiting on his left arm to come in from PP to mount shield. The flag reads 'Iron Will' in Khadoran script.

Warmachine - Page 2 DSC_0020
The Juggernaut in a WIP forest livery.

Warmachine - Page 2 DSC_0019
My Assault Kommandos (flamethrower coming soon)

Warmachine - Page 2 DSC_0016
The whole painted gang as of now.

In other news, I'll be making a trip down this next weekend to play some Warmachine. Hopefully my Behemoth gets in in time; I'd hate to proxy him if I use him.
Back to top Go down
Victor
Admin
Admin
Victor

PostSubject: Re: Warmachine   Warmachine - Page 2 EmptySat Jun 11, 2011 11:56 pm

Awesome models! This weekend as in today and tomorrow or a week from now?
Back to top Go down
Church

Church

PostSubject: Re: Warmachine   Warmachine - Page 2 EmptySun Jun 12, 2011 8:55 am

Victor wrote:
Awesome models! This weekend as in today and tomorrow or a week from now?

Next week. The weekend of the 17th, to be specific. My Behemoth and case won't be in until the latter part of this week, so I had to wait.
Back to top Go down
MatthewTyson

PostSubject: Re: Warmachine   Warmachine - Page 2 EmptySun Jun 12, 2011 3:04 pm

Daaaaayum. That's good. I keep forgetting to take pics of my stuff...
Back to top Go down
Church

Church

PostSubject: Re: Warmachine   Warmachine - Page 2 EmptyMon Jun 13, 2011 6:15 pm

Well, given that I've had a lot of time to look over Khador in my off time (while waiting to come play), I've got a pretty decent analysis. Figured I'd share.

Lack of Unit Diversity: Not unlike Ret, we Khador players suffer from a little disease called 'Lack of Diverse Units'. This mainly stems from deploying only Heavy 'Jacks. However, a good chunk of our troops are multi-threat troops, not truly specialized in any specific role, but when deployed and managed carefully are capable of very serious shenanigans. The catch is, these units must often be deployed very carefully, otherwise they probably won't be able to maximize their potential. For example, let's take the Doom Reavers (not counting the UA). They are very good Weapon Masters in melee, but are offset by their innate Berserk ability. Unless they're deployed to where they can run into a large infantry group and go apeshit, they oftentimes will cause plenty of damage to their own as they would anything else. But when they do get a good setup, they're absolutely devastating.

Heavy Armor, Serious Lulz: The fact that our warjacks (ARM 20 standard, ARM 25 for Devastator) are built to last compared to other heavies is an advantage all in itself. But the fact that, except for our assassination and ambush units (Kayzay Assassins, Widowmakers, Kossite Woodsmen), our basic infantry starts out at armor 13 is even better. Also, our heavy infantry start at a minimum of ARM 16 and go up to ARM 19 (not counting Shield Wall, which puts them above OUR heavies), and have plenty of damage boxes to go around. That being said, we are easier to hit than most because of it. It doesn't mean we can't be torn apart with careful precision strikes, though. It just means we have somewhat of a better chance of survival.

Numbers, Numbers, Numbers: oftentimes we're outnumbered, sometimes a little, sometimes a lot. This may be disheartening at first, but it's actually very amusing to watch your much smaller force walk all over the other guy.

Keeping the Warjacks Alive: The fact that our 'jacks are so damn tough is also our biggest problem. Because they're so big and bulky, they move like Molasses. All of our 'jacks (except for Scrapjack) move at SPD 4 and have DEF 10 to boot. When your run movement is only one more inch than a charge, you're often-times going receive a bunch of fire on the way into battle. In larger battles, a group of Battle Mechaniks will probably be working overtime to keep your heavy guns up and running. But when they do get into combat, it HURTS.

We currently have the most expensive 'jack: yes, you know who I'm talking about. THE Behemoth. At a full 13 points, you know there's shenanigans under the hood. Twin bombards that can fire independently of the main system (needing minimal focus to do so), twin armor-piercing fists, 21 ARM and a couple more damage boxes than normal. Not to mention it's half again as large as any Khadoran 'jack. It's fun on the battlefield, hurts like a freight train, but also moves like one....a very slow one.

Plenty of Toolbox Equipment: As stated before, we have a lot of multi-threat units. We also have a good number of multi-threat casters as well. It's very fun, with tons of potential to cause havoc.

Careful planning makes playing Khador actually fun. It takes some getting used to to iron out the kinks (I've raged many times while using Vassal), but it's very entertaining to watch. But know this: Khador is not simply "I walk over and smoosh your guy." There's actually a lot of synergy under the hood. You just have to know what to look for.
Back to top Go down
MatthewTyson

PostSubject: Re: Warmachine   Warmachine - Page 2 EmptyWed Jun 15, 2011 12:28 am

behemoth is a damn monster against large based casters. 2 shots on turn two brought thagrosh down 15 damage to a mere 5 hp.

last time i forget to camp focus...
Back to top Go down
trumpet7347
Webmaster
Webmaster
trumpet7347

PostSubject: Re: Warmachine   Warmachine - Page 2 EmptyMon Jun 20, 2011 7:12 pm

just got done painting one of my bane knight and thought i would post some photos.

Warmachine - Page 2 IMAG0024

Warmachine - Page 2 IMAG0023

Warmachine - Page 2 IMAG0022
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Warmachine   Warmachine - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Warmachine
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next