Mississippi State Tactical Airsoft Club

HomeHome  MS-TAC SiteMS-TAC Site  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Welcome to MS-TAC's new forums. New announcements will be displayed here.
By default all topics you post or reply to will set you to watching them. You can turn this off under Profile > Preferences.
Check out the sticky under MS-TAC > General to visit the old forums.

Share | 

OP Gen III Practice and Tips

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Aramis
Esteemed Alumni
Esteemed Alumni

PostSubject: OP Gen III Practice and Tips   Mon Nov 04, 2013 11:16 am

Playing RUSH all day this past weekend was really awesome. The defenders really started to work better as a team, but when moving and assaulting the attacking teams seemed to flounder a little bit.  I was talking to Porthos (Evan/RogueNine) and he suggested some show and tell tactics lessons before the OP. If you guys are up for it I can come out on Saturday maybe with CaptKirby if he comes up before the game and maybe Porthos if he gets done with his work and show you guys how to properly move as team and use cover fire and cover.  If done well it is ridiculously effective.

I'll write up a little guide so in case it doesn't happen at least you can read through and get the gist.

DEFENSE
Attack and defense is as old as time, someone has something and you want it, or you have something and someone else wants it. Be it either an item or a location there is always something to defend.  For the most part and especially in airsoft defense is static. Meaning the team defending can stay around the object being defended and wait for attack. This means they can "set up" for the attackers. Get the best positions available and cover openings that the attackers can come through.

Also in defense the objective is NOT kills. This is one thing our club is getting better at, but needs to remember often.  If the attackers have a time limit then it DOESNT MATTER how many you kill as long as they don't take the objective you are guarding. So with this in mind don't DON't expose yourself for a kill when you don't need to.  I do this all the time and I know it's tempting to just kill that guy and get it over with, but if you have a defensive position MAKE HIM COMMIT. Make the other guy come out of cover to attack you. Use patience and wait for him to open up then destroy him.

Along the same lines if you have lots of ammo (ie. SAW or lots of high caps/mids) then keep the attackers from getting a good position on you. Don't shoot to kill. Shoot to keep them from going in a certain direction.  If there is a really good attacking tree or bunker that the attacker could use to get good shots at you then put a stream of bbs between the attacker and that cover.  FORCE him to go another direction. He can't get to that piece of cover with a stream of bbs in his way.

Last edited by Aramis on Mon Nov 04, 2013 11:58 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Aramis
Esteemed Alumni
Esteemed Alumni

PostSubject: Re: OP Gen III Practice and Tips   Mon Nov 04, 2013 11:25 am

ATTACK

This one takes more work. Attacking is all about movement. Sure your rifle might be firing lazer bbs sent from heaven out of a gold plated aeg that you won off the devil, and you might win 3 gun tournaments between classes on tuesday, but if you don't have a clear shot (nothing in between you and bad guy #3) then you are useless.  Therein lies the problem. How do I get into a place to take a shot at said bad guy Aramis?   Well I'll tell you.

Option 1 Stealth

This one is a favorite among guys at the club right now and it works....sometimes. The key here is to move QUICKLY and QUIETLY to a place that the enemy doesn't expect.  Not to the other side of the bush in the plains the enemy is going to expect that one like presents at Christmas. The key to this one is to be somewhere that the enemy doesn't expect. If you go too slow then the enemy will have time to think about all the directions you could come from and if you go too loudly then they will just plain hear you coming.

Last edited by Aramis on Mon Nov 04, 2013 12:02 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Aramis
Esteemed Alumni
Esteemed Alumni

PostSubject: Re: OP Gen III Practice and Tips   Mon Nov 04, 2013 11:43 am

Option 2 Cover fire Intro

When in an area when stealth is not an option, whole team movements or attacking in the plains, then you have to have good teammates.  So again how does having good teammates help me attack Aramis? Wouldn't that just help us have more people shooting at the other team, a battle of numbers kind of thing?  

Well thanks for asking, but no. Having good teammates is about Forcing the enemy to do something. Bad guys #1,2, and 3 are all sitting behind a bush in the plains popping out and firing well placed shots at you and your teammates.  If you could just get a guy to that bush opposite of them without them knowing he would blow them away and your squad could move up.  

That's the problem, it could also be that there are lots of guys all hunkered down behind Base 3 in Rush and they keep popping up and keeping you from moving to that sweet tree over there with the wide trunk, clear line of visibility, and included hot tub.

So here is where the Frogger Approach/Team of Operators comes in. The gist is the enemy can't shoot you with bbs in their face.  What do you do when you have a firefight with someone? You pop of your cover and fire some bbs their direction along with some jokes about their mother and when you think they've had enough you pop back into cover. They then pop out and shoot back at you while telling you how awesome their mother is and you'd like her if you got to know her. You go back and forth until someone gets a lucky shot and gets the other guy. This uses up a lot of ammo and gets you very frustrated.  What if instead of popping back into cover after you think they've had enough you keep firing. Think the boat extraction scene in Act of Valor.  What the enemy wants to do when bullets just keep raining on them is hunker down or run away.  They really can't shoot back, because if they poke their head out they will physically EAT a hail of bullets/bbs.  

Do you see the power there?

Last edited by Aramis on Mon Nov 04, 2013 12:01 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Aramis
Esteemed Alumni
Esteemed Alumni

PostSubject: Re: OP Gen III Practice and Tips   Mon Nov 04, 2013 11:52 am

Frogger Approach/Team of Operators

So what do you do when bad guy #1 who has now s$I% his pants is cowering behind cover as you rain death, fear, and pain unendingly upon his position?  You move!!!  Remember attacking is ALL about moving into position to take out the bad guy.

With a team this is done leapfrog style (hence Frogger Approach). So one guy finds the offending bad guy or guys and lays down cover fire, can be automatic can be semi, but the shots must be placed close enough to the bad guys and with enough frequency to keep them cowering.  Shooting one shot every 15 seconds is NOT intimidating. I'm talking 2-3 shots every 5 seconds or more shots per second if you really have the ammo and don't care about smelling the bad guys $h**%y pants. While one of your team is keeping the opposing forces heads down cover fire style, the rest of his team MOVES!!!! They move into better position to shoot at the bad guys. When they get to their cover they return the favor for the first guy.  He then moves to another position while they keep the bad guys down.  They do this until they have got into a position to take out the opposing forces.  

This works best in TEAMS!! Hence Team of Operators. Everybody has got to be willing to do their part and trust the guy who is giving them cover fire.

Last edited by Aramis on Mon Nov 04, 2013 12:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Aramis
Esteemed Alumni
Esteemed Alumni

PostSubject: Re: OP Gen III Practice and Tips   Mon Nov 04, 2013 11:57 am

Groundhog Cover fire

This is leapfrog, but done solo. If you don't have a team to rely on then you can cover fire yourself, but you have to be QUICK and QUIET. What happens is you run up on the bad guy or guys. You shoot a lot at them to get their heads down. Then when their heads are behind cover and obviously not looking at you then you MOVE!! Remember movement is the key to attack. You move to another piece of cover and when they pop out to shoot at you, thinking you were behind the piece of cover you just left, you should have a better shot at them and you END them. If you don't then you can now sneak to another piece of cover to get a better angle or you groundhog them again.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
CaptKirby
Esteemed Alumni
Esteemed Alumni

PostSubject: Re: OP Gen III Practice and Tips   Mon Nov 04, 2013 4:01 pm

Something to note, Airsoft is all about deception, and capitalizing on oppertunities. If your opponent does not know where you are, who is helping you, or what your gonna do, then you have the advantage. As Aramis has stated movement is key in this deception. Whether by yourself, with another, or in a squad; how, when, where, how fast, and how loud you move will shape how you will suceed.

One senario that Aramis didn't touch on in detail is when a squad or group perform Frogger/Cover Fire/etc... in a very fast swift motion. This can be extremely effective in certain situations. Basically you are taking turns moving from location to location stopping long enough in each place to cover you teammates advancements. This sudden aggresion can take your opponent off guard and allow a small team to take an objective quickly. This takes good timeing, good shooting, good teamwork, and quick and decisive movement. In games like RUSH, this is a very good way to take on a base. If you give time for the enemy to re position, react, respawn, etc... it will be much harder to take an objective.

Downside is obviously that if done poorly your whole team can end up dead. But, sometimes your team dying is worth it, because it was all a distraction for 1-2 men to get a position that otherwise would have been guarded. This loud, aggresive showing of force is just what you needed to gain the tactical advantage. Obviously having 4-5 people dying for positioning wouldn't be acceptible in real war (typically), but the word "respawn" changes things.

It all falls back to trying to confuse, decieve, disorient, etc.. your opponent so that you can gain the tactical advantage.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Porthos

PostSubject: Re: OP Gen III Practice and Tips   Tue Nov 05, 2013 10:25 pm

I told Aramis that I'd be willing to help train this Saturday if everyone's up for the idea. I can only help for 2-3 hours, but our team could use the practice as this style of play is very dangerous and we seemed alittle rusty. Some of you saw how mobility can be very disruptive in our last game of rush this past weekend. I saw some videos and pics of the field being used for the Op. Teamwork and communication, in the form of cover fire and leapfrogging, will be extremely valuable there.

Most of you know that we brag about how great and well known our club is in Mississippi and Alabama. How we were always the deciding factor in scenarios we participated in, like Mount Doom and Op Gen. What you might not know is that we achieved those results through the use of mobility, stealth, and skill. We were generally the team that lead the offensives and broke through enemy lines, like we did at Op Noob this year. We were also spectacular at flanking enemy defensive positions, like at Op Gen I and Mount Doom. During our club's last outing at Mount Doom, we single-handedly attacked the enemy's base using a coordinated, three-pronged assault.

I'm just trying to point out that MS-TAC has always been known for its success, most of which stemmed from being a highly mobile force. Ever since we've changed our field of play, we seem to have been slowly losing some of that mobility. I believe that some focused practice, as a group, would be beneficial to the success of this Op.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Epinkard - Badger of Doom
Esteemed Alumni
Esteemed Alumni

PostSubject: Re: OP Gen III Practice and Tips   Wed Nov 06, 2013 8:59 am

I agree. I would like to have tactics practice this Saturday instead of games.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: OP Gen III Practice and Tips   

Back to top Go down

OP Gen III Practice and Tips
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1