Mississippi State Tactical Airsoft Club

HomeHome  MS-TAC SiteMS-TAC Site  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Welcome to MS-TAC's new forums. New announcements will be displayed here.
By default all topics you post or reply to will set you to watching them. You can turn this off under Profile > Preferences.
Check out the sticky under MS-TAC > General to visit the old forums.

Share | 

Project: REACH (CAUTION: PICTURE HEAVY/LARGE PICS)

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Aramis
Esteemed Alumni
Esteemed Alumni

PostSubject: Re: Project: REACH (CAUTION: PICTURE HEAVY/LARGE PICS)   Tue Feb 15, 2011 1:46 pm

WOW! that chest piece is IMPRESSIVE! This is going to be AWESOME!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Church

PostSubject: Re: Project: REACH (CAUTION: PICTURE HEAVY/LARGE PICS)   Tue Feb 15, 2011 1:59 pm

Grady the Scot wrote:
WOW! that chest piece is IMPRESSIVE! This is going to be AWESOME!

Thanks! I at least hope it turns out good after fiberglassing!

Minor setback on the fiberglassing. The forearm warped. So I'm going to have to build a new set of forearm gauntlets. The chest is halfway fiberglassed, and there's only minimal warping. I can fix it with a bit of Bondo. All I need is a bit more fiberglass cloth and a few more paintbrushes. Then I'll start sanding it. After I finish it, I'm going to go back to pepping the helmet and the rest of the armor.

Anyways new pic update. This is the handplate after the first sanding/detailing. Still got to coat it again with resin, then do a final detail/level before the actual painting starts.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Hunter

PostSubject: Re: Project: REACH (CAUTION: PICTURE HEAVY/LARGE PICS)   Wed Feb 16, 2011 10:24 am

You should try using cloth instead, It's what I use in making micarta, and this stuff comes out strong as steel. also you can choose a color of fabric you want the final piece to be(depending on the kind of resin you are using). what you should really try doing also: don't waste all your money on paintbrushes, just dip your fabric in your two part resin mix and ring it out before applying it.

Though I do all of my work inside of our shop, I also use a respirator when doing it. The micarta that knife makers make(when using higher end epoxy resins) are capable of stopping bullets
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Church

PostSubject: Re: Project: REACH (CAUTION: PICTURE HEAVY/LARGE PICS)   Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:46 pm

Hunter wrote:
You should try using cloth instead, It's what I use in making micarta, and this stuff comes out strong as steel. also you can choose a color of fabric you want the final piece to be(depending on the kind of resin you are using). what you should really try doing also: don't waste all your money on paintbrushes, just dip your fabric in your two part resin mix and ring it out before applying it.

Though I do all of my work inside of our shop, I also use a respirator when doing it. The micarta that knife makers make(when using higher end epoxy resins) are capable of stopping bullets

Ok. This is a response and a sort of update/blog deal.

Well, while I like the prospect of this, sadly I'm limited in what I can do. Most of the pieces of cloth can't be just dipped in the resin, as I have to have them pretty much pressed against the details of the pieces for them to stick properly. All of the cloth is applied from the inside of said piece, as it's VERY impractical to fiberglass the outside, as you lose a lot of detail and time...hence why I have to pre-place the fiberglass cloth. I don't mind putting out a few dollars for paintbrushes, so that's a non-issue.

The only problem I've run into is warping. Given, on most pieces the warping is very slight (meaning I can use Bondo to fill it back out and sand it better than normal), but I wrecked my forearm piece somehow.

Now, on my helmet, because of the way it works, I'm not going to fiberglass it. Rather, I'm going to use the Slushcast Rondo method. Rondo is 2 parts Bondo body filler and about 1 part fiberglass resin, and I just mix, pour, and slush around the part. It works quite well, and the Rondo stick to paper very well. The trade-off is that the helmet is heavier than a fiberglassed model, but it's easier to repair and detail. It doesn't work so well on the other pieces, otherwise I'd do it on them, too.

I'm going to be finishing up the glassing on the chestpiece today, then I'll start the Bondo process. I'm also going to be applying the finisher coat of resin to the handplate and will start painting and detailing by tomorrow. I'll also be trying to complete the helmet, which hasn't made much progress since the last picture update. I'll also be building a new set of forearms, so I might not make it to airsoft this weekend depending upon my armor progress. I'm actually starting to get behind schedule now.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
echo214

PostSubject: Re: Project: REACH (CAUTION: PICTURE HEAVY/LARGE PICS)   Wed Feb 16, 2011 4:25 pm

what colors are you going to use? i know jorge has his own colors, but i am a fan of graphite armor with gold trim...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Church

PostSubject: Re: Project: REACH (CAUTION: PICTURE HEAVY/LARGE PICS)   Wed Feb 16, 2011 4:30 pm

echo214 wrote:
what colors are you going to use? i know jorge has his own colors, but i am a fan of graphite armor with gold trim...

I'm going for an exact Jorge replica color scheme. It'll give me an idea of what to expect on my other armors after I finish this one, as it's a bit more diverse than a standard Reach color scheme.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
echo214

PostSubject: Re: Project: REACH (CAUTION: PICTURE HEAVY/LARGE PICS)   Wed Feb 16, 2011 5:16 pm

yeah, ill definately have to come up there to play a game, just to see the armor...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Church

PostSubject: Re: Project: REACH (CAUTION: PICTURE HEAVY/LARGE PICS)   Wed Feb 16, 2011 10:50 pm

Classes have been hell this week, so my building's pretty much been stalled. This is also why there's a lack of promised updates and all that good stuff.
If I'm lucky, I MAY be able to get the helmet done tomorrow and start work on Bondo'ing the Grenadier chest. Also, the UpArmor shoulder attachment that was resting on the chest is gone. It was nowhere near an accurate model, so I ripped it of of another build and will be putting that one on instead.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Church

PostSubject: Re: Project: REACH (CAUTION: PICTURE HEAVY/LARGE PICS)   Sun Feb 20, 2011 5:29 pm

UPDATES FOR EVERYONE!!!!!

Ok guys, here's my newest picture update for you, as promised....though delayed. Read the bottom of the message for more info.

Yeah, I know the chestplate looks a mess right now. It's a rough sanding. I'm currently using a spot filler to try and even out the coatings and fix the curves on the grenadier barrel section. I'm going to start detail sanding after that, then drop another coat of resin on the outside to fill in the imperfections. After that, if it looks ok, I'll primer it and start painting. If not, it hits the Sander again. Also....I've found that hot glue works well as a filler if you're in a pinch. Note that I'll be posting another picture after the spot filling with the details drawn onto the chest before priming it so you know what I'm going to be doing.

The chestplate, fiberglassed, and through the first round of Bondo and sanding.

Now, on to a new bit of eye candy for ya: the helmet, pepped and ready to go.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Church

PostSubject: Re: Project: REACH (CAUTION: PICTURE HEAVY/LARGE PICS)   Mon Feb 21, 2011 12:52 pm

Tech/design talk for you, guys. This one IS picture-heavy.

Ok. I'd like to make a brief statement regarding what I'm going to be using the armor for. Given the materials I'm forced to work with, I'm not going to be able to make it tough enough, at least at this stage, to use it during airsoft. This armor project is just going to be show armor, more or less, with more emphasis on look and build than overall durability. Given, it's still going to be tough as nails, but it's not going to be like actual usable field armor.

Also, I know some of you haven't played Halo Reach but you're viewing this project anyway. To let you know what the armor's going to look like, I think that posting a picture of Jorge (which I use as the chest reference) will be helpful.

Also, this next little statement is mainly directed to something Victor brought up the other night during Magic. I've looked over the character designs for Jorge and his chest armor is not like the other five Noble members, whose chest armors set lower which makes them closer to the codpieces. Jorge's is an older modified Mk V (as opposed to the others' Mk V[B]), which has a fairly large gap between the bottom of the chest and the codpiece, which is filled by a black, layered set of armor (as shown in the picture below). Also note the armored pieces on the inside of the thigh armor. These are not a default part of the pep, as they need to flex. I'll cut these from foam rubber.

So, while it looked odd at first when I showed it to you, it's consistent with character design. Thanks for pointing it out, though. I've got some black foam rubber on order to start piecing together parts of the underarmor (I'll be attaching them to a black undersuit) when the time comes around.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
echo214

PostSubject: Re: Project: REACH (CAUTION: PICTURE HEAVY/LARGE PICS)   Mon Feb 21, 2011 1:06 pm

so i take it you are just going to use a tinted piece of bent plexiglass for the visor on the helmet?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Church

PostSubject: Re: Project: REACH (CAUTION: PICTURE HEAVY/LARGE PICS)   Mon Feb 21, 2011 1:13 pm

echo214 wrote:
so i take it you are just going to use a tinted piece of bent plexiglass for the visor on the helmet?

Actually, I'm going to be ordering a gold motorcycle helmet visor and contouring it to the helmet shape. It's one of the *easier* ways to do it.

*Note that I singled out Easier. In truth, there is no such thing as easy during armor making. There's no such thing as cheap, either. =P
Back to top Go down
View user profile
echo214

PostSubject: Re: Project: REACH (CAUTION: PICTURE HEAVY/LARGE PICS)   Mon Feb 21, 2011 1:32 pm

yeah, the only cheap option is cardboard and duct tape....
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Church

PostSubject: Re: Project: REACH (CAUTION: PICTURE HEAVY/LARGE PICS)   Mon Feb 21, 2011 8:23 pm

True. cheaper to produce, more expendable. Less headache-inducing.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Church

PostSubject: Re: Project: REACH (CAUTION: PICTURE HEAVY/LARGE PICS)   Wed Feb 23, 2011 10:40 pm

Ok gents. Listen up. Tomorrow I'm going to be applying the final resin coat to the chestplate and getting it ready to paint. Now, since I've been scaling things correctly, I have a few pieces that are too small to be a good reproduction. Normally, I'd get rid of these by simply throwing them away, but I figure I'll offer them up here first.

EVA shoulder (pepped)
Grenadier Shoulder (pepped)
all 3 boot pieces, 1 boot (fiberglassed, back section slightly warped)

If anyone would like these for prototyping purposes, you're free to claim them. Otherwise I'm going to table them and use them for my own prototyping.

EDIT: Ok. Setback. I use my truck to hotbox the pieces so they cure faster. Well, since it got cold last night, the resin didn't cure 100% (it's still kinda sticky). It's going to take at least another 5 hours to cure.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Church

PostSubject: Re: Project: REACH (CAUTION: PICTURE HEAVY/LARGE PICS)   Fri Feb 25, 2011 9:21 pm

Ok. While I wait for the resin to finish setting on the chestpiece, I'm going out of my way to do a bonus project, mainly for lulz. I'm not going to outright tell you what it is, but I'll give you this bit: It appeared in both the original Halo and Halo:Reach.

That's all I'm gonna tell ya.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
wkoalmc2011

PostSubject: Re: Project: REACH (CAUTION: PICTURE HEAVY/LARGE PICS)   Sat Feb 26, 2011 7:29 am

Sniper Pistol? or is it armor related? Oh wait I think the sniper pistol was in ODST.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Church

PostSubject: Re: Project: REACH (CAUTION: PICTURE HEAVY/LARGE PICS)   Sat Feb 26, 2011 10:40 am

I'm gonna leave it solely to speculation at this point.

EDIt: Ok. 'Nother hint: because I have to scale it down so small, the detail pieces are a bitch to put together.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Church

PostSubject: Re: Project: REACH (CAUTION: PICTURE HEAVY/LARGE PICS)   Sat Feb 26, 2011 6:53 pm

Major update: the armor has been sanded and cut. I've attached some temporary straps to figure out how best to fit it. Everything, for the most part, fits well, with one exception. The back lower part where the arms come through is a bit tight across the back, so I can't fasten it 100% yet.Currently working on new latching ideas and how to widen it and keep the look.

EDIT: I'm going to be spending the next couple days trying to figure out ways to make it more comfortable of a bit...as well as aesthetically good. Though, I'm going to be moving at a MUCH slower pace. No telling when it'll be ready yet.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Church

PostSubject: Re: Project: REACH (CAUTION: PICTURE HEAVY/LARGE PICS)   Sat Feb 26, 2011 9:14 pm

Ok guys. For a while, Project REACH is going to be suspended. Having to work in the confines of my dorm, along with all of the trial and error associated with the project, it is becoming to costly to maintain.

Until further notice, I will not be posting any more REACH updates. That means no armor or weapons until (possibly) next semester.

Oh. The side project is a scale model of the Pillar of Autumn. The instructions are in Russian and there's not any fold lines to really go by.

On the subject of scale models, these will be much easier to produce, as they don't cost hundreds of dollars to do. I'll be making a new thread with those (not just Halo models, but pepped models in general) later on.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
subspacepirate

PostSubject: Re: Project: REACH (CAUTION: PICTURE HEAVY/LARGE PICS)   Sun Feb 27, 2011 6:15 pm

awww, but you came so far..
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Church

PostSubject: Re: Project: REACH (CAUTION: PICTURE HEAVY/LARGE PICS)   Sun Feb 27, 2011 7:04 pm

subspacepirate wrote:
awww, but you came so far..

The project as a whole is suspended, but I'll be rigging the chestpiece for wear, though it'll be much slower. Truthfully, though, I've been rushing this project, operating on a deadline....which doesn't work. Doing this over the summer will make it easier to manage. Now, in the mean time, I'll be making some pepakura items, mainly for display purposes, like ships and props and other things of that nature. But REACH will not resume until the summer, where I have access to a fully stocked shop back home. Right now there's just simply no time.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Project: REACH (CAUTION: PICTURE HEAVY/LARGE PICS)   

Back to top Go down

Project: REACH (CAUTION: PICTURE HEAVY/LARGE PICS)
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2